Fire Stations - Past and Present

Print
PDF

Since its inception in 1897, the Ridgewood Fire Dept. has built five fire stations. Ridgewood's first station, Protection Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, was built on Hudson Street and served the Village between 1897 and 1910.

During a period of rapid residential development in the 1890's, residents on the east side of the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook pressed for additional firefighting services. They formed the Eagle Hose Co. No. 1 in January, 1900, and laid the cornerstone for the Village's second fire station at 19 Circle Avenue on September 21, 1902. This building remained in use until it was demolished in 1940.

The third facility and second Hudson Street Station was built as a municipal complex, housing both the fire and police departments and the municipal and district court. The building was completed in 1911 and remained in service as Fire Headquarters until July 30, 1993. It was razed three months later.

In response to residents' concerns after a serious fire in the mid 1940's and to better serve the west side of town, Engine Company No. 31 was established in 1947. Located at 311 West Glen Avenue, the structure is a renovated barn which houses an apparatus room, offices, and living quarters for firefighters. This fire station has served the Village for half its firefighting history.

The Village's fifth fire station and current department headquarters is located at 201 E. Glen Avenue.  This facility has been operational since June 1, 1992 and serves as quarters for the officers and men of Engine Company No. 35, Ladder Company No. 36, and Rescue Company No. 42. The building also houses the administrative offices, the Fire Prevention Bureau, and auxiliary apparatus.