The Ridgewood Volunteer Firefighter
Be a minimum of eighteen (18) years of age. Live or work in the Village of Ridgewood. Be prepared to commit the necessary time and effort involved in being a Volunteer Firefighter. Have a valid New Jersey Drivers License.
Volunteer Firefighter Application Process:
- Complete a Volunteer Firefighter Application (NOTE: Pg. #19 and the Last Page MUST be Notarized).
- Application will be submitted to the Police Department for a Background Check.
- If you pass the Police Background Check, you will be scheduled for an Interview with the Volunteer Officers.
- If the Officers make a recommendation to the Chief of the Department to proceed with the application process, you will be scheduled for a Psychological Examination.
- If you pass the Psychological Exam, you will be scheduled for a Physical Examination.
- If you pass the Physical Examination, you will be scheduled for a Physical Performance Test at Fire Headquarters.
- You are required to attend, within the first year, the Bergen County Fire Academy to take a Firefighter I Course. If you attend the day course, it runs for six weeks, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., with a couple of Saturdays. If you attend the evening course, it runs for six months, two nights a week from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., and four Saturdays.
All volunteer members are included in an Accident and Sickness Insurance program and you will receive an annual payment for alarm and drill attendance.
As a Volunteer Firefighter, from time to time you will:
Respond to alarms in the Village of Ridgewood or other communities in the Northwest Bergen Mutual Aid group.
Train towards professional qualifications for a Firefighter as set by the New Jersey Division of Fire Safety.
Become part of a team that keeps the units ready for the next emergency call and keep the fire station clean.
You will also be trained on items such as communications, health and safety and self-contained breathing apparatus and other related duties such as public education activities.
What items will I be specifically trained in as a Volunteer Firefighter?
There are many areas that you will be trained in. Some of them may include:
Use of self contained breathing apparatus, search & rescue, ropes & knots, radio communications, the structure of command, basic pump operations, working from hydrants, working during draught conditions, hose laying, hose loading, operation and selection of nozzles, driving, ventilation, interior structural firefighting, fire prevention, overhaul, ladders, salvage, foam, extinguishers, dealing with flammable products and many more.
The training is an ongoing process, and you should be continually learning for as long as you are involved with the fire department.
The Volunteers meet for Drill on Monday evenings at 7:00 p.m.
- Hits: 4634